As you can imagine there are many airlines that fly to Athens international airport (also known as Eleftherios Venizelos international airport) on a regular basis. Right now 78 airlines operate out of Eleftherios Venizelos international airport. It offers non-stop flight to 128 cities. Every week at least 1,743 domestic flights and 1,883 international flights depart from this beautiful airport. It is said to run efficiently and effectively, so much so that travellers have reported that from when they disembark from the plane they are through customs in 20 minutes.
Travelling times to Athens:
Flights from around Europe are generally three and a half hours. Here are some examples :
- Flight from London to Athens 3hrs 29 minutes
- Flights from Rome to Athens 1hr 49 minutes
- Flights from Madrid to Athens 3hr 27 minutes
- Flights from Malta to Athens 1hr 34 minutes
- Flights from Paris to Athens 3hrs 7 minutes
- Flights from Amsterdam to Athens 3hrs 10 minutes
Public transport is provided from Athens airport to the centre of Athens and the port of Piraeus by an express airport bus connection on a 24hr basis providing an efficient service, to all who use it and to ensure a good linkage to key tourist attractions. There are three bus itineraries to carry passengers to and from the airport line E94, from airport to Ethniki Amina Metro station, E95 from airport to Syntagma Square and E96 airport to the centre of Piraeus (Karaiskaki square). The tickets for these buses are valid for 24hrs and include all public transport (buses, trolley buses and the metro).
Approximate Flight times from Athens:
- Athens to Egypt 2hrs: best time for travelling – all year round
- Athens to Fiji 24hrs: best time for travelling – May to September
- Athens to New York 11hrs: best time for travelling – all year round
- Athens to Australia 20hrs: best time for travelling – July to December
- Athens to china 13hrs: best time for travelling – April to October
- Athens to Canada 12hrs: best time for travelling – May to September
- Athens to Brazil 18hrs: best time for travelling – May to September
- Athens to Bahamas 14hrs: best time for travelling – November to April
Obviously flight prices are going to vary as to the time of year you want to fly, time of day, class of seat, last minute deals, advanced booking ect. So it is important to shop around especially when booking online, which is the most common and easiest way to book flights nowadays.
As you can imagine there are many different airlines that offer many reasonable flights to Athens international airport. There are approximately 63 different airlines that fly to Athens. Some of the most commonly used being Easy jet, Ryan air, British airways, Aegean airlines, jet2.com, Lufthansa, Alitalia, Thomas cook airlines, air France, Turkish airlines, Swiss flights, Olympian air, and Austrian airlines. Others frequently used: Air Berlin, Air china, Cyprus airways, Bulgaria air, KLM, Air Malta, Egypt air, Pegasus airlines, Qatar, Ukraine international airlines, Wizz air, Aer Lingus, and Cathay Pacific airways. Whoever you decide to fly with to Athens, reaching your destination will be magical.